Wednesday, May 03, 2006

    Calling Dr. Poophead

    I got a pissy lesson in blogging today...in the persuit of trying to help a colleague out, I get back the following (full note):
    "But Piss Poor Prof, are you actually a professor yourself? I thought you were a graduate school dropout. Maybe if you finish, you'll have more information about how things actually work. As it is, you seem to be only guessing."
    Why the personal attack? Yea, I was guessing, but I really don't like people making assertions with no proof. It annoys me. Am I a professor? Yes. Do I have tenure? No...read the blog, "scholar." Will I understand the politics of higher education with a completed dissertation? Perhaps a tad more...will that play into your argument about scholarship? No.

    So, Dr. poophead, I will refrain from you and your work.

    [OK, the "Dr. poophead" remark (capitalization intended) is a tad juvenile, but it feels really good.]

    Oh, and as an undergraduate, at the tender age of just-out-of-high-school, I was engaged in serious "scholarly" work translating ancient greek texts...from, of course, the original. I do know of scholarship...

    Would you like me to read this to you? Listen

    4 Comments:

    Blogger Professor Zero said...

    Well, here's what you said:
    "I am a drop-out of one of the said 'thin PhD programs,' which did not equip me well at all."

    This gave me the distinct impression you hadn't finished. Add to that your blog title, burnt out adjunct, and one then really can surmise...

    You're someone I don't know, and you ended a pretty ignorant comment with this belligerent sentence: "Come on, I have a blog to write and many more to read...".

    Under the circumstances, I think I've been pretty kind and solicitous to you!

    Thursday, May 04, 2006  
    Blogger Piss Poor Prof said...

    PZ: you ended a pretty ignorant comment with this belligerent sentence: "Come on, I have a blog to write and many more to read...".

    PPP: belligerent or playful...funny how things come off.

    Thursday, May 04, 2006  
    Blogger The Combat Philosopher said...

    Ho, Hum, PPP complains about a perceived ad hominem, and then indulges in one himself. As my Mother used to say, 'two wrongs do not make a right' - and this is assuming that Prof Zero really did ad hominem the PPP (a fact I am not convinced of).

    So, PPP are you the kind of individual who would never have managed to get into a doctoral program, before the 'industrialization' of graduate programs? I am really interested in your answer. Having followed PZ's further discussion on scholarship, I believe that (s)he is really on to something.

    As a tenured person, I am sick of younger collegues who are poorly trained. Their insecurity is a source of annoyance and gives rise to their silly behaviour. I am also sick of these same individuals bitching, moaning and generally doing everything but their job. So, my question is, PPP, would you be a crappy person to have around too? If so, then I am glad that you have not been given a tenure-track position. We scholars sometimes make choices based on things other than vita lines. Thank god we do! If we did not, we would have to deal with even more utter oxygen thieves.

    The CP

    Tuesday, May 09, 2006  
    Blogger Piss Poor Prof said...

    See my response.

    Thursday, May 11, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home