Monday, June 05, 2006

    I always feel like sombody is watching me...




    Perhaps I am a bit paranoid, but with the recent NSA "scandals" about warrant-less domestic phone call monitoring, I find the following a bit disturbing.

    I was watching the video lecture on networking from Harvard's extension school. In lecture 5 there is mention of using "trace route" to map the exact boxes your web page signal (or e-mail, etc.) goes through. So, I found this site which does it through a web browser.


    To my chagrin, I began to notice that almost all of my web searches was going through Washington DC: google, ebay, salon… The signal is going through a company, and get this, called Defender Technologies Group, LLC


    Now, I am sure that this is all a coincidence. I mean, DARPA would not have given such a domestic program of internet surveillance such an obvious name. I mean, that would make life a poorly written B movie.


    Still, I wonder….


    Google, Yahoo! and AltaVista all went through DC.


    As for e-mail. My local college account did not go to DC. AOL, though, did. Well, actually Vienna, VA. Yahoo! mail did not go to DC. It went to Dallas. GMail went to DC.


    Again, I may just be paranoid. After all, why would the NSA have to go through their own "cage"(a networking term for a secure location—redundant power sources, secure facility, etc.) in order to monitor. They could do that from anywhere. I mean, these guys are smart…right?


    Would you like me to read this to you? Listen

    1 Comments:

    Blogger insider said...

    You'd be damn surprised with what you can learn about surveillance when you write a non fiction book. I ended up purchasing back trace software and after sorting through the proxies and spoofs, and getting some forum support, all I can say is "Cripes".
    You gotta believe the hits are overkill. search spectre.net.au and you'll see what I mean.

    Monday, August 06, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home