Saturday, July 01, 2006

    The future of TV

    The future of TV.

    What do Bill Maher and Jon Stewart have in common?  Only the future of entertainment.

    Overstated?  We'll see.  

    I don’t get to watch a lot of TV as it is produced.  In fact, I seldom if ever, lately, sit down and watch network TV: no American Idol, no Lost, none for me.  This wasn't always the case.

    Before marriage, which quickly moved into parenthood, I watched a lot of TV.  Although I liked to think I discriminated in the content, I really didn't.  I watched the good, bad and the ugly.  I remember taking a posterboard in college and mapping out the plot relationships  between the central characters on Twin Peaks (go log lady).  I was hooked on the TV.

    Something about the exhaustion of a newborn, though, kills the TV bug.  Living an immunized life, now, I have to be even more creative in my TV watching.  I am abetted by the move on cable to running an episode multiple times a day/week (think Monk on USA or Entourage on HBO).   With these instant re-runs, I can, occasionally, catch an episode—always after the fact and often weeks so.  And that is ok.  

    Comedy Central has reruns of segments of their shows on their web-video portal The Motherload where I can catch segments of Jon Stewart or Colbert without needing to stay up or watch.  This is more than ok…it is a gods-send.

    Bill Maher, having bounced from ABC to HBO is now on Amazon.com.  Who knew?  A fully developed interview show that is broadcast completely on the net called Amazon Fishbowl.  The content seems ok, but the medium is what is really exciting.  Content exactly when I want it.  

    15 years after the promises of the net originating, finally some results.


    Would you like me to read this to you? Listen

    2 Comments:

    Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

    As kids get older, they hijack the TV, instead of your viewing time

    Thanks for the link!

    Sunday, July 02, 2006  
    Blogger Piss Poor Prof said...

    It is not even as kids get older. I can relate, with way too much ease, dialog from a large number of animated features from the last 20 years, including some old-school Disney (Aristocats and Cinderella). I have turned my honed analytical skills from the American West to Incredibles and The Emperor's Lost Groove.

    And that is ok. With the online web-casts, I caught up on Colbert and Stewart in the tub last night.

    I love technology.

    Tuesday, July 04, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home