Thursday, August 10, 2006

    A Peak behind the Curtain

    Here is a quick take on my life at the moment, taking a break from the political and educational posts:

    • I will be flying to The Red State (there is only one like this one) to visit my
      Memaw. Hospice has been called, and I need to go. Hopefully, the call
      was premature.
    • I have applied online to a local law school. I will have to take the LSAT, so I don't
      know, still, if this is the way I want to go.
    • I have a stack of 20-odd books on my dissertation topic (roughly) that I got from
      the library. Ostensibly I am using them to fill out the prospectus section on the current state of scholarship in my area/topic. They have been sitting there for a week now.
    • I am at a crossroads, and I am not sure as to where I want/need to focus my
      energies. No signs are coming.
    • Pookie starts kindergarten this year. I dread her going away to school. The first 5 years have gone so fast that the next 12 will surely go as fast and then she will be gone. [Well, that was pathetically over-dramatic…but I am still sad]
    • Lovely Wife has an interview today. If it goes well, and I hope it does, she will be working in her field for the first time since getting the MA. Small town is rough for an Ivy grad.
    • My Dad has been diagnosed recently with Parkinson's Disorder, which is not the
      Disease, but close enough. Lots of bad news lately.
    • I missed my Papaw's funeral 6 years ago, and I still feel guilty. I was out of the country at the time and had just visited him maybe two weeks before, but still. I caught his last lucent moments—after driving for two straight days—literally walking up to the bed-side and having 5 minutes before what we think was a stroke took him away. I dread that I will do the same with Memaw.
    • Memaw and Papaw are such Southern names for grandparents.
    • I really wish that I had more comments from the posts I have been putting up. I am getting a little discouraged.

    Would you like me to read this to you? Listen

    8 Comments:

    Blogger Miranda said...

    I hope things go the way you want them to with Mewmaw and the other stuff will tend to sort itself out in its time.

    Thursday, August 10, 2006  
    Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

    new job, schedule upheaval... no time to compose witty, intelligent comments. (Who am I trying to kid? My comments were never witty and intelligent in the first place.)

    Thursday, August 10, 2006  
    Blogger Piss Poor Prof said...

    Thanks Terri and Miranda. Your comments, both here and elsewhere, have been both encouraging and intelligent.

    I am up doing last minute tasks before flying out...oh, and drinking up all of my carry-on beverages. Stinkin' terror plots.

    Thursday, August 10, 2006  
    Blogger Diana said...

    Sorry you are at such a place of unease. I hope writing about it helps sort things out. It does me. I hear you on the kindergarten thing. My son is 7 and my daughter is 3, so I've both been through it and have it coming up, again, next year (out here, kindergarten starts at age 4). I dreaded his because it was the first. I'm dreading hers because it's the last.

    Friday, August 11, 2006  
    Blogger karmic said...

    Sorry about where you are today. Hang in there. I think writing about it might ease things a bit.

    I will try to read you regularly.
    Ame over from Teri's place she is just amazing.

    Friday, August 11, 2006  
    Blogger karmic said...

    OY.. "Ame"? I meant came over.. me n my typos :)

    Friday, August 11, 2006  
    Blogger moegirl said...

    Don't be discouraged, I always imagine for every comment there is at least five more readers...right?

    Hope your wife lands a good job, you ace your LSATS. Much bloggy mojo.

    Sunday, August 13, 2006  
    Blogger Piss Poor Prof said...

    Thanks everyone. I am heartened, and I will keep in mind the 5:1 ratio. I know this is fairly accurate given the hitcounts.

    I will update more specifically in a post.

    Thanks again.

    Tuesday, August 15, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home