A Peak behind the Curtain
Here is a quick take on my life at the moment, taking a break from the political and educational posts:
- I will be flying to The Red State (there is only one like this one) to visit my
Memaw. Hospice has been called, and I need to go. Hopefully, the call
- I have applied online to a local law school. I will have to take the LSAT, so I don't
know, still, if this is the way I want to go.
- I have a stack of 20-odd books on my dissertation topic (roughly) that I got from
the library. Ostensibly I am using them to fill out the prospectus section on the current state of scholarship in my area/topic. They have been sitting there for a week now.
- I am at a crossroads, and I am not sure as to where I want/need to focus my
energies. No signs are coming.
- Pookie starts kindergarten this year. I dread her going away to school. The first 5 years have gone so fast that the next 12 will surely go as fast and then she will be gone. [Well, that was pathetically over-dramatic…but I am still sad]
- Lovely Wife has an interview today. If it goes well, and I hope it does, she will be working in her field for the first time since getting the MA. Small town is rough for an Ivy grad.
- My Dad has been diagnosed recently with Parkinson's Disorder, which is not the
Disease, but close enough. Lots of bad news lately.
- I missed my Papaw's funeral 6 years ago, and I still feel guilty. I was out of the country at the time and had just visited him maybe two weeks before, but still. I caught his last lucent moments—after driving for two straight days—literally walking up to the bed-side and having 5 minutes before what we think was a stroke took him away. I dread that I will do the same with Memaw.
- Memaw and Papaw are such Southern names for grandparents.
- I really wish that I had more comments from the posts I have been putting up. I am getting a little discouraged.