Monday, September 18, 2006

    My Monday

    My Monday:

    12:20 – Finally get to bed.  With the short weekend (home only two days this week), there was lots to get done and no time to do it.
    4:20 – Kill the alarm, but get up anyway.
    4:50 – with two cups of coffee, in disposable cups, take off in rental car for the hour long drive to the airport (time estimated at maximum speed)
    5:45 fill up rental car
    5:55 – turn in rental car
    6:02 – wait in line for tickets…
    6:06 – have ticket lady tell me that I had missed my 6:30 flight because I wasn’t checked in 30 minutes before the flight.
    6:15 – look at the plane I was supposed to be on just sit there, beckoning.  Am told that since I have checked baggage that I cannot stand by my original flight.  
    6:30 – sit fuming about the stupidity of modern air travel.
    7:15 – achieve a stand-by flight going the opposite way than my final destination.  My original flight was non-stop.  I will now have a layover.
    8:20 – race through major airport to stand-by another flight.
    8:35 – hear announcement that the stand-by flight I was able to get on is delayed because the pilot was stuck in traffic.
    9:10 – the 8:30 flight takes off.
    9:15 – wake up to the sound of a jarringly familiar sleep-snort.
    9:25 – wonder how the rest of the day will go.

    10:30 – arrive at destination site
    10:50 – take shuttle to rental car, off-site location
    11:00 – fail to rent car due to credit card declined…
    11:01 – slowly begin to panic (return is not till Thursday, no other means of payment, far from client site…)
    11:04 – begin waiting on hold with Credit Card Company
    11:51 – finally get off of hold
    11:58 – ask customer service rep repeated why it took them a week to notice a slew of new charges, and then why they didn’t call instead of cutting me off in the middle of a trip, causing me to wait on hold almost an hour and to be late for a meeting…
    12:00 – get no satisfactory answers, but do get a car.
    12:01 – start a new work week.

    Would you like me to read this to you? Listen

    6 Comments:

    Blogger Miranda said...

    What a disaster, PPP. My positive well wishes aren't worth much these days, but I am hoping you can find a job a little closer to Sleepyville so you can be with your Lovely Wife and Pooky.

    Monday, September 18, 2006  
    Blogger Piss Poor Prof said...

    I am with you. I admit, there is a certain glamour to checking into hotels that I couldn't otherwise afford, to getting decent rental cars and eating in nice restaurants. I like all of that, but the glamour fades after about a day, and then it is just lonely.

    I don't see much in the way of job opportunities at home, so here I am.

    Tuesday, September 19, 2006  
    Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

    No doubt that modern air travel sucks!

    I don't suppose you are going to the same place every week and could stash some stuff there so you don't have to check a bag? Hubby and I have the advantage of two homes, so as long as we have a sets of vital liquids on each end we can just pack a carry-on and skip most of the lines.

    Also, our airlines let us print boarding passes from home, thus avoiding the check-in game all together.

    Tuesday, September 19, 2006  
    Blogger Piss Poor Prof said...

    I will have a home base--I have been comparing hotels these first two weeks--so the leave them liquids thing is a viable option.

    It is ludicrous that because of a bunch of yahoos, I have to now take off my shoes and have an overly officious TSA officer throw away my glasses-cleaning spritzer.

    The war on terror, in this instance, is a pain in the ass.

    Wednesday, September 20, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Good thing the airlines get to be bailed out by the government, otherwise they might have to worry about customer service. as it is, rest assured that if they do again start to fail, our taxe will pull them through. No accountability whatsoever. Did your seat-partner notice your snort?

    Monday, September 25, 2006  
    Blogger Piss Poor Prof said...

    My seat partner was the model for Monk (USA network). I tended to leave him to his own.

    Monday, September 25, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home