Wednesday, September 20, 2006

    Open Materials

    Inside Higher Ed has an interesting article about Open Instruction (it is not really open source, as that refers specifically to software that is collaborative created and maintained).

    Yale has entered into the open dissemenation of instructional materials, following along behind MIT an Rice (Harvard has some of their extended education courses online).

    I say yay. Bring it. All of it. Let me see the lectures, read the materials, and gain access to the information. I will not get the official credit. My transcripts will not be Ivy, but I will finally be able to hear the discourse previously only available in peer-reviewed journals.

    <>Individual instructors will expand their cults of personality, eventually a few of them breaking into celebrity (of a lower level) status.

    Still, not a bad thing.

    Would you like me to read this to you? Listen