Sunday, January 28, 2007

    Explaining my absence

    There are a couple of factors at work with my absence.
    1. I am currently not teaching. Even typing that feels a bit strange. My long-time gig came to an ugly end as me and the new dean did not see eye to eye (apparently turning in grades late was a firing offense, even if the new online system was to blame).
    2. Lovely Spouse almost died.
    We have been trying off and on since Pookie to add to the brood. Over Christmas this year we anxiously thought we had a little one in the making. We did. The little one, though, never made it past the fallopian tube, which, as you know, is catastrophic. It was almost doubly so. The tubal pregnancy was found only after (or about the same time--who can tell with these things?) the hemorrhaging occurred. Emergency surgery later, Lovely Wife is once again of sound body (or at least on the way there) but with broken soul.

    So, we are taking some time to mend.

    I will return with crass and sass, a little wiser and a lot sadder.

    BTW how does one adopt when one is poor? How does one obtain a surrogate on a meager wage?

    Would you like me to read this to you? Listen

    7 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm a lurker, so this is my first comment, but I wanted to say I'm so sorry.

    my sister (very poor) found a local adoption agency in her area where she could adopt for a few thousands dollars. she didn't go through with it--got divorced instead--but it was an option, and they really didn't have a lot of money. You might be able to find something relatively inexpensive, if you're willing to go domestic and consider open adoption (apparently, many mothers looking to place their children in this country prefer the idea of open adoption).

    Sunday, January 28, 2007  
    Blogger Piss Poor Prof said...

    Thanks Anastasia,

    I am not sure what open-adoption is, but I will sure Google it right away.

    I know that we are not alone in our plight, although it feels that way at times.

    Also, a lot of this is new and scary, so I appreciate the well wishes.

    Monday, January 29, 2007  
    Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

    I'm wishing you and your sweet spouse all the best.

    I'm also wishing you all the strength necessary to hold on to one another and the love, compassion and sense o humor to keep yourselves together.

    It seems as if there are many kids in foster care and in need of permanent homes. That may be one way to add to the family while also not having much in the way of funds... They could use an intelligent and loving home. It is also sometimes the case that the state helps in some limited way with their special expenses.

    Monday, January 29, 2007  
    Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

    I'm so sorry. What a series of things to happen in such sort order. MY condolences.

    Saturday, February 03, 2007  
    Blogger Piss Poor Prof said...

    Thanks Teri.

    This seems to be my Winter of Sorrow. My grandmother passed this morning.

    I am beginning to be afraid to answer the phone.

    Friday, February 09, 2007  
    Blogger Unknown said...

    This comment has been removed by the author.

    Friday, February 09, 2007  
    Blogger SourDad said...

    PPP,

    My condolences. Glad to hear it wasn't worse.

    Glad your back to bring me the stink on not much higher ed.

    It's hard to keep a blog theme on track after a tragedy. Breaks are good.

    Thursday, February 15, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home