Wednesday, March 21, 2007

    Should teenage girls know about cervical mucas?

    As I mentioned yesterday, LW has been charting her basal temperature for about two years now. During that time, we have been able to visually represent all manner of nifty items (ovulation, thyroid, menses, etc.) that have really aided in her overall health. In short, information is healthy.

    Cut to an article in Salon’s Broadsheet yesterday about the “scandal” of teaching teens how to chart their own cycles. As the father of a future teen daughter, I can assure myself that I will encourage a great sense of self-awareness in her about her body. That is, I will encourage her to follow her mother’s lead in understanding her body. If that means checking a first-morning temperature, the location of her cervix and the presence of cervical mucas (which is really obvious when present), then by all means.

    Do I think that her having knowledge of her body will allow her to then manipulate the system and “get away” with unprotected sex? No. To do otherwise would be to not instruct her of the rules of the road out of fear of her speeding.

    Another banner day in stupid-ville.

    [By the way, did you read this because of the blog title?]

    Would you like me to read this to you? Listen

    3 Comments:

    Blogger Miranda said...

    It's a crazy paradox - kids who are experiencing the height of sexuality bombardment from peers, advertising, hormones, etc. actually seem to know the least about how their bodies actually work. I remember how ignorant I was in my late teens/early 20s yet I received much more comprehensive sex education than the young folks seem to now.

    I think that this abstinence business in this culture just leads to teens engaging in riskier behavior. When teens are taught that sex is a health issue rather than strictly a moral issue, I think they tend to make better choices. Knowing one's fertility cycle is certainly a health issue.

    Thursday, March 22, 2007  
    Blogger Piss Poor Prof said...

    On a side note, by charting we were able to demonstrate what LW already suspected--a low thyroid issue. The docs wouldn't listen until they were shown "proof."

    Saturday, March 24, 2007  
    Blogger Miranda said...

    Based on the experiences of several friends, LW is best doing her own research on thyroid disorders because most general practitioners have little knowledge when it comes to regulating thyroid issues.

    Sunday, March 25, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home