Wednesday, April 11, 2007

    Why I am not teaching at the moment

    Regardless of the animosity directed at my choice in degree, I felt a deep need to study English and American literature. Things did not, though, go the way I had anticipated. Instead of the heralded mass retirement of tenured faculty (which may have happened to a lesser level only to be filled with part-time or adjunct or some other form of non-tt), the positions that were open to me did not adequately pay my bills.

    But, ever the stubborn one, I held a foot into the teaching world by adjuncting here and there (from one to ten classes at a time)(from teaching at one to 4 schools at once). But, no more. This year marks the decline in my ability and desire to continue in this manner.

    From the grading pressure (six week courses require an almost daily grading obligation), lack of adequate pay (I maxed out around 40--45k in adjuncting pay per year), lack of professional recognition (not able to pay my own way to conferences, I mingled only online) and an overall lack of positive input (complaints about grades far outnumbered kudos for good skill development), I have put this part of my life on hold.

    I am deeply saddened by this.

    Would you like me to read this to you? Listen

    3 Comments:

    Blogger Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

    Did you say 10 classes at a time? And you maxed out at 45k?

    I'd leave that behind, too.

    I don't know how to say "good choice and good luck in your future endeavors" without it sounding like a brush off - so I hope you'll accept the sentiment and ignore my clunky phrasing.

    Wednesday, April 11, 2007  
    Blogger Piss Poor Prof said...

    Thanks teri.

    I'll take the sentiment no matter the phrasing.

    The problem with adjuncting is that it is a come-and-go thing. At the end of the very-busy-semester, I had two online classes the rest of the year.

    When it rains, you had better grade quickly.

    Thursday, April 12, 2007  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I'm sorry to hear that, but I understand your decision. I hope the next chapter is something great.

    Monday, April 16, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home