Monday, May 14, 2007

    Academic freedom and "shooting" students

    As an update to an earlier post, it appears that a group of Murfreesboro, TN teachers (secondary school this time), staged a mock shooting scenario on a class trip. For five minutes they convinced the group of sixth graders that a gun-man was hunting for them. The students cowered in a dark room for some five minutes. One of the "teachers" even dressed the part, pulling on the door's handle.

    Now, when a college prof, with a specific intro and sign-off has a dramatic enactment to jump-start discussion (even if ill-timed and insensitive), I get behind him against the forces of narrow-minded political-correct-fascists.

    But when elementary kids are crying for their lives, I want punishment, swift and severe.

    If it were my Pookie in that class, I can guarantee that the "teachers" better be armed when I show up for Parent-teacher conference.

    Man, that pisses me off.

    Would you like me to read this to you? Listen