Monday, July 09, 2007

    Adjuncting facts

    Here is my response to the comments (if not the actual article) about the Price of Good Intentions (Inside Higher Ed):

    Fact is: helping adjuncts implicates the system (if they didn't need help, then no one would be helping them...).

    Fact is: tenured profs (on the whole) do not care to disrupt the system that employs them--this means you "Larry"--else the system would be changing (tenured have the power to change the system but are not)

    Fact is: adjuncts did not choose their fate. They didn’t one day wake up and say “I think I will accept sub-standard wages without benefits or security. I mean, after all, I would love to put my advanced degree to work for a system that subjugates me. Ooh, that sounds like fun.”

    Fact is: large PhD classes lead to a disproportionate supply of cheap adjunct labor (the university system as a whole makes money on the advanced degrees and then on the adjunctification of that same degree)

    Fact is: no one in power cares about the above facts.

    Would you like me to read this to you? Listen

    3 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I've been rather shocked at how poorly teaching assistants are treated as well. I've actually heard a tenured prof say when the university tried to revamp the tenure system, "But we can't have a two-tiered staff system."

    This was a very adjunct heavy department.

    Monday, July 09, 2007  
    Blogger Dean Dad said...

    Your last fact is false.

    Some of us do care.

    We even try to do something about it.

    We're just outgunned.

    Tuesday, July 10, 2007  
    Blogger Piss Poor Prof said...

    Nice to hear, DD. Yes, the last fact was a bit overstated... But, I would rather, on the whole, have results over sympathy.

    Saying that, sympathy is nice when there are no results to be had...

    Tuesday, July 10, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home