Monday, July 09, 2007

    Behind the scenes at an adjunct hiring

    In a remarkable candid and honest assessment of the adjunct situation (in the sciences), Twice (my guess is that both she and her husband are tenured in the sciences) sketches the other side of the desk.

    While my initial sympathies lie elsewhere, I am sure that there are a large number of sympathetic voices who try to address the adjunct mess when they can, but come up against institutional barriers.

    Labels: , , , ,

    Would you like me to read this to you? Listen

    2 Comments:

    Blogger Inside the Philosophy Factory said...

    I've just finished some adjunct hiring in philosophy. My dean gave me a lot of control over the decision and the schedule for all of our adjuncts.

    I think we are really, really, really lucky to have people with this sort of potential wanting to work for us. I'm happy that I can use provisions of our good contract when doing their schedules to maximize their pay and minimize their time on campus.

    It was pretty humbling that these folks would agree to take a one-semester gig at all. One is ABD and moving back to the area because his spouse is an MD, another is teaching at two local CC's and with our class she has a full-load and is on the same payment basis as I am, and the third is working a regular job but will teach for us two afternoons a week and Saturday morning. All three will be paid fairly and have a proportionate share of benefits.

    Monday, July 09, 2007  
    Blogger Piss Poor Prof said...

    ITPF, yours is a unique situation. How do you think we can replicate it?

    Tuesday, July 10, 2007  

    Post a Comment

    << Home