Monday, December 31, 2007

    F@*& Off 2007!!!

    I have very little good to say about the last year. It started with sheer and utter joy (we were pregnant) to then suddenly go horribly awry.

    A few things I have learned over the last year:
    • Few (at least if your friend group is made up of liberal-leaning folk) consider 7-8 weeks long enough to warrant full-frontal grief over the loss of a child. Hell, most don't even consider it a child, so why all of the fuss. This can make one's honest expression of pain even more isolating
    • Hospitals are geared toward control. The doctors have all the control (or, by extension, the administration). Why no cell phones? It is not that cell phones would interfere (they don't in planes either), but that a central switch-board allows for centralized control. Don't believe, try to find out, from a distant town, how your loved one is doing. Or, better still, find out how or who messed up the treatment.
    • Doctors are not sued enough. I don't care what you say about tort reform, the act of suing over malpractice keeps us all safer. I don't let the mechanic off the hook if my brakes suddenly don't work. And, one would think in a world where Wal-Mart can alter their first-in-the-door display in reaction to real-time buying patters (true), why can't medical professionals all be on the same page with medications?
    • Sometimes when one travels for a living, that the travel has to stop for the living. There is a finite and doing so.
    • Air travel does not have to be an painful as it is. Centralized control is needed. Reagan was wrong.
    • Sick, old ladies often outlive everyone's fear of them dying. Then, one day, they pass on. I had two this year.
    • One's grandparents should not die before they have met their great-grandkids. Being a grand-parent establishes a completely different dynamic than a parent, and this needs to be shared with ones own children.
    • Creditors have begun using multiple numbers to circumvent caller-id. It is best to judiciously use voice-mail when behind one bills
    • Institutions of higher learning are not "lean" enough to meaningfully respond to current societal needs. Perhaps they will form a committee to investigate this further. It will meet monthly, for an hour, over lunch.
    • LinkedIn is a social network group that offers little to no honest appraisals of its constituents--much like high school.
    • Small-town educational opportunities for ones kids continually disappoints.
    • It is still not in my interest (although I still have interest) in finishing my dissertation. I don't know how to reconcile that.
    • A white Christmas is more enjoyable than a non-white one. The snow adds to the overall charm.
    • Children are worth every spare moment.
    • I am still looking for the end to this Third Great Awakening. I am hoping that the religious climate goes back to sleep. We could use the break.
    • I am still not excited about the role of America on the world stage. The next ring-leader (read any way you wish) doesn't look to offer any great hope on this.
    • One needs, when one lives in a small town, to travel to a big city at least twice a year. Otherwise, the choice to live where one does becomes more of a sentence than a decision.
    • We haven't figured out how to start a school without a boatload of capital.
    • A year does not lighten the pain of losing a tubal child.
    • My state encourages malpractice by capping damages. It forces only the small number of "glory" cases to be sought (infertility, losing a limb, etc) to the fore. Others, serious but less "showy" are, for a lot of lawyers, not worth the effort--low return on effort, hard to convince a jury, conservative peers, etc...
    • A prophet (or a very educated person) finds no honor in her hometown.
    So, to 2007, I burn you in effigy. I wish that you come to an end and that a new beginning may actually take place. Begone from me. I have no use for you. You have brought little joy.

    Labels: , , , , , , , ,

    Would you like me to read this to you? Listen

    4 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    a very fine list. I lost a child at nearly 7 weeks this year and feel the same sense that my grief is somehow unacceptable given that many people don't even regard what I lost as a child.

    I am very sorry for your loss. It is a real loss. I hope that 2008 brings healing.

    and are you ever right about the very education person in her hometown. oy.

    Tuesday, January 01, 2008  
    Blogger Miranda said...

    Here's hoping for a much better 2008

    Monday, January 07, 2008  
    Blogger Piss Poor Prof said...

    I send my sympathies and shared pain, Anastasia. It seems to put us in a strange, lonely land among our peers.

    Thursday, January 10, 2008  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dear PPP,
    My condolences on your loss. I've shared something of the same and was flattened to discover no secular way to adequately express that grief.

    I hope 2008 brings you better tidings in every regard.

    Cynematic (recovering academic, in the humanities no less)

    P i l l o w b o o k

    Thursday, January 31, 2008  

    Post a Comment

    << Home