Tuesday, February 05, 2008

    Nude PhDs: TA T-and-A

    As a daily reader of Salon.com, I seldom have a chance to link my blog to my reading. Today that changed.

    The local advice column, "Since you Asked," often has the regular, ho-hum advice seekers. But there is something about a grad student stripper asking for advice that caught my attention.

    Her problem, as a liberal arts major, is paying for the last bit of work without school help. She admits to being a TA in the past, which only brings more possible links between her two worlds.

    Read the letters, which are supportive and full of good advice (go farther away for a couple of weeks, bank the cash, and then crank out the diss.).

    I think there are some interesting issues to tease out here: future positions ruined through a Google search, random posting of phone pics into Facebook, freedom of expression/speech.

    I am afraid that in reference to hiring, there is not much liberal in the liberal arts.

    Labels: , , , ,

    Would you like me to read this to you? Listen